The Department of Linguistics at the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg is pleased to announce a conference to be held on 15-16 November 2013. Entitled “Discourse, Gender, and Sexuality: South-South Dialogues”, the conference aims to bring together scholars from diverse fields of knowledge as well as geographical regions who are interested in showcasing work on any aspect of the relationship between discourse, gender and sexuality in the global South.
Possible thematic areas may include, but are not limited to:
• Gender, sexuality, and the body
• Gender, sexuality and disabilities
• Identity and desire
• Gender, sexuality and power
• Intersections of gender, sexuality, class, race and age
• Gender, sexuality and poverty
• Gender, sexuality and the media
• Gender, sexuality and violence
• Gender, sexuality and multilingualism
• Gender, sexuality and space/place
• Gender, sexuality and social theory
Sibonile Ellece (University of Botswana) Michelle Maria Lazar (National University of Singapore) Ana Cristina Ostermann (UNISINOS, Brazil)
The abstract should be written in English and not exceed 300 words.
Deadline for submissions of abstracts: the abstract should be submitted no later than 15 April to firstname.lastname@example.org
There are no conference fees. Lunches and coffee breaks are offered by the conference organizers.
Three bursaries covering travel and accommodation costs are made available to post-graduate students. In order to apply for the bursary, send an email to email@example.com with a proof of registration for a university degree, a letter of motivation and a letter of support.